Monday, July 18, 2011

Panko-crusted Honey Mustard Salmon

Whoa! It has been far too long since my last blog post. I apologize for taking forever to come up with a new recipe. College has been quite hectic this past year, but I hope to have many more posts this summer and fall. I can't miss another fantastic season of mother nature's bounty! Look for a farmer's market post in the near future. Now, since it has been so long, I suppose I will dive right in.

Salmon is one of my favorite proteins. It has enough flavor to stand up to a bold bottle of wine, and there are very little flavor enhancements needed for salmon to truly shine. With that in mind, I decided to keep it simple with this salmon recipe. I added a little honey mustard for that fantastic tang that goes so well with fish and some thyme-infused panko bread crumbs for texture. In all, this is a very well-rounded dish. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do (preferably with a bottle of sauvignon blanc).

Panko-crusted Honey Mustard Salmon




Ingredients:
  • 6 oz salmon filet
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place a sheet of parchment on a cookie sheet. Place salmon on the cookie sheet and set aside.
  2. Combine the thyme and the panko bread crumbs in a small bowl.
  3. In another bowl, mix the mustard, honey, oil, and vinegar. Brush the salmon with about half of the mixture (just enough to lightly coat the salmon. The other half will be the sauce once the salmon is done). Sprinkle the top of the coated salmon with salt and pepper.
  4. Press the panko crumbs on top of the salmon (don't worry much about the sides). Place the salmon in the oven and bake 15-16 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork (I have a thermometer and cook mine to about 145ºF).
  5. Serve salmon with a drizzle of the extra honey mustard.
This recipe only serves one, but it can easily be multiplied to fit the number of people you want to serve. If you have a lot of people, just buy a fresh, whole salmon from the market! It will be even easier than dressing multiple little salmon filets.


No comments: